Connect with
KP Alumni now!

recent registrants

Forums - Sports - Note that your experiences may differ from mine

Note that your experiences may differ from mine

Posted by Jma325 Jma325 over 6 months ago

so you don't have to install and manage an emulator.Another hurdle: Older Windows Neverwinter games that might have run in the Windows 95/98/XP era may not always run cleanly on a newer machine. In addition to suffering from the previously mentioned 16-bit installer issue, some of these Neverwinter games may use DirectX in some arcane way that's no longer supported, or they might use hardware features that have been abstracted out in current versions of DirectX. Sometimes, if you have a problem, you can still get the Neverwinter games to run by using Windows' Program Compatibility Troubleshooter.The tool, which also ran on Windows 7, allows you to set up the game executable so that it thinks it's running on an older version of Windows. You can let the tool apply a fix, or you can manually walk through it and apply different settings to see whether one specific combination of settings works. You need to do this only once, and Windows will remember the settings for that game.Even given DOSBox and the Compatibility Troubleshooter, sometimes Neverwinter games simply don't run. Or maybe they do run, but exhibit performance problems. I looked at a number of golden-age titles to see what works, what doesn't, and what almost works in Windows 8. So follow along, and get ready for some tips on how I got stubborn titles to work after some finagling.Neverwinter games from the DOS eraFirst, I ran a number of classic DOS Neverwinter games.Back in the day, DOS Neverwinter games were the gold standard for testing IBM PC compatibility. There was a time when a slew of PCs existed, not all of which were 100 percent compatible with the IBM PC, but ran MS-DOS.A few common tips will promote better compatibility and performance for DOSBox-embedded titles. First, disable multimonitor support if you're running more than one display. Next, minimize background tasks, particularly tasks that may pop up new windows; good examples are Gmail (if someone connects to you via Google chat, a small window pops up) and Tweetdeck (which pops up a status window). Also, disable apps that generate a notification sound, such as Tweetdeck or Skype. Generally, shut down any application that might interfere with graphics [url=http://www.nwgolds.com]Neverwinter Astral Diamonds[/url] or sound generation.Before I talk about Neverwinter games that worked, it's worthwhile to explore a few Neverwinter games that gave me problems. Note that your experiences may differ from mine, given the variable nature of PC hardware. Of the DOS Neverwinter games I tried, I encountered only one abject failure, which I mention first. In the end, I had more success running DOS Neverwinter games on Windows 8 than I had with running Windows Neverwinter games. But this is probably more of a testament to the effectiveness of DOSBox as a PC emulator than anything else.Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar, a role-playing game, is one of the earliest Neverwinter games to present significant moral choices to the Neverwinter player.